Vegetable puff with Homemade Puff Pastry
Vegetable puff Today’ recipe under the savory and miscellaneous baking theme for the mega marathon is vegetable puff.
Vegetable puff always reminds,my college days where we used to eat these puff almost every other day.Our college bus used to stop near the bakery shop and after getting down we used to hit the bakery and enjoy these puff with a cup of tea.
After coming to U.S,made veggie and egg puff with the store bought puff sheet,almost for every party or get to gathers. After some point we all got bored and stopped making.Its been almost an year we had these.
But this time I wanted to try making the puff pastry at home and it came out so good.I followed the basic Vahchef method.
This method is so simple and easy to make in short span of time and the outcome is a crispy and flaky puff.I baked only 7 puff and kept the rest in the freezer for future use.I made these puff on a sunny day and we were doing the lawn work,so we had it along with the lemonade instead of tea.The puff pastry can also be frozen for later use.I made the pastry on the previous day and made puff on the next day.Lets move on to the recipe.
Vegetable Puff with Homemade Puff pastry
|All purpose flour||2 cups|
|Granulated sugar/sakkarai||1 tsp|
|Lemon juice||1 tsp|
|Unsalted butter/vennai||150 gms|
(approximately 11/2 stick)
|All purpose flour||1/4 cup for dusting|
For the stuffing
|Potato||3 (medium size)|
|Onion(finely chopped||11/4 tsp|
|Beans(finely chopepd)||1/4 cup|
|Ginger&garlic paste||2 tsp|
|Red chilly powder||3/4 -1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Garam Masala powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander leaves(chopped)||1 tbs|
- Mix the lemon juice with water and keep it aside.In a bowl mix in the all purpose flour,sugar and salt,mix it well.To this add the water and knead it to a soft dough.To this add around 11/2 tbs of butter and mix it well.Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Now take the knead dough on a floured surface and roll it to a rectangular sheet of 10×20 inch with 1/8 inch thickness.Divide the butter to 3 equal portions and keep it aside.Apply a thin layer of one portion of butter to 2/3 portion on the rectangular sheet and sprinkle some flour. Vegetable puff
- Fold in the ungreased part first and to this top fold the butter part.Cover it with a cloth or foil and refrigerate for 15 minutes.After 15 minutes take out the chilled dough and transfer to the work surface.
- Roll the dough to a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin and apply the second portion of butter to 2/3 of the sheet and fold it in the same way like the first time.Cover it with a cloth or foil and refrigerate for 10 minutes.Take it out and transfer to the floured work surface.
- Roll the dough again to a rectangular sheet like before and reserve a tsp of butter and apply the butter to the whole sheet and fold it as shown.Then finally apply the reserved butter and sprinkle some flour and fold it.Refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes.The pastry is ready now. Vegetable puff
- While the pastry is resting make the stuffing.Microwave the chopped carrot and beans for couple of minutes with a tsp of water.Pressure cook the potatoes for 2 whistles and peel the skin and mash it well.Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and saute the onion till transparent.To this add the ginger&garlic paste then goes in the partially cooked carrot,beans and mashed potato.Add in the spice powders and salt.Mix it well and let it cook for couple of minutes.Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and put off the flame.Let it cool down.
- Now take the refrigerated pastry sheet and roll it to a rectangular sheet,if needed dust some flour.Cut it to a desired shape and keep a generous amount of stuffing.
- Apply some water to the edges and seal it and arrange it on a lined baking tray.Brush it with some butter if you want.Preheat the oven at 425 F and bake it for 20 minutes or till a nice golden crust formed in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.Remove it and brush it with butter. Vegetable puff
- Serve it warm with ketchup
- The pastry can be frozen up to 3 months.
- Do not bake it more than 22 minutes.