Who is Amit Panghal?
Amit Panghal, born October 16, 1995, is an Indian amateur boxer. He won a silver medal at the 2019 AIBA World Boxing Championships in the flyweight division. Panghal won a gold medal at the 2018 Asian Games.
Amit Panghal’s journey ends at the Tokyo Olympics
Indian boxer Amit Panghal (52kg) withdrew from the Olympics with a surprising 1-4 loss to Rio Games silver medalist Yuberjen Martinez, beaten by the Colombian’s relentless attacks and pace in the quarterfinals. final, on Saturday.
The seeded Indian, who was making his Games debut, had had a goodbye in the first round. Panghal was pressured by the vivacious Colombian in the first round, but the Indian made sure to connect better to claim the first three minutes 4-1. But Martinez’s pace should have sounded the alarms in the Indian corner.
Biography of Amit Panghal, Wiki
Amit Panghal was born on October 16, 1995 in Mayna Village of Rohtak District, Haryana. His father, Vijender Singh Panghal, is a farmer in Mayna, while his older brother, Ajay Panghal, works in the Indian army. Ajay, a former amateur boxer, inspired Amit to start boxing in 2007 at the Sir Chhoturam Boxing Academy.
As of March 2018, Panghal is serving the Indian Army as a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO). He serves in the 22nd Battalion of the Mahar Regiment.
|Record of medals|
|AIBA World Boxing Championships 2019||Silver|
|Asian Games 2018||Gold|
|Commonwealth Games 2018||Silver|
|Asian Championship 2019||Gold|
Amit Panghal’s boxing career
The boxer made his international debut against Sri Lanka in India, held in 2012. He won the gold medal in his debut match at the National Boxing Championship in 2017.
The same year he also won the bronze medal in the light flyweight category of the 2017 Asian Amateur Boxing Championship held in Tashkent. He also qualified for the AIBA World Boxing Championship.
At the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia, Amit Pangal won a silver medal in the lightweight flyweight category. He faced eventual British gold medalist boxer Galal Yafai. Four months later, Amit Pangal had won his second international gold medal at the 2018 Asian Games by avenging his quarter-final loss to Hasanboy Dusmatov of Uzbekistan at the 2017 AIBA World Boxing Championships.
Due to his success at the 2018 Asian Games, Pangal received the Arjuna Award from the Government of India on the recommendation of the Boxing Federation of India.
In 2019, Pangal won his fourth international gold medal at the Asian Boxing Championship by defeating South Korean boxer Kim-in-Kyu. In September 2019, Amit Pangal became the first Indian boxer to claim the silver medal at the AIBA World Boxing Championships after being defeated by Shakhobhidin Zoirov of Uzbekistan in the final of the 52kg category.
Amit Pangal qualified for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics in March 2020 after defeating Carlo Palaam of the Philippines in the 52kg category quarterfinals. After qualifying for his debut Olympics, Amit Pangal won his fifth international gold medal at the 2020 Boxing World Cup in Cologne, Germany, in December. Amit has a total of 5 international gold medals to his credit.
Achievements of Amit Panghal
- Gold medal at Asian Games 2018, Jakarta, light flyweight
- Silver Medal at the 2018 Asian Championship, Gold Coast, Light Flyweight
- Bronze medalist at the 2017 Asian Championships, Tashkent, lightweight flyweight
- He has been awarded the 2011 Best Boxer Award at the 37th Haryana Junior Men State Boxing Championship.
- He has been the 2012 Best Boxer Award at the 38th Haryana State Youth Boxing Championship for Men.
- It is part of TOPS (Target Olympic Podium Scheme) initiated by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Lesser known facts about Amit Panghal
- Amit Panghal enjoys riding and traveling when he is free
- Panghal has appeared on the cover of Grazia magazine.
- In 2018, the University of Chandigarh invited him to open the second Junior Boxing Championship on its campus.
- What Panghal is the devotee of Lord Hanuman.
- Amit Panghal wishes to open a “Panghal Foundation” for budding boxers.
- It is part of the TOPS (Target Olympic Podium Scheme) initiated by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Amit Panghal Social networks
Who is Amit Panghal?
Amit Panghal is an amateur Indian boxer.
What is Amit Panghal famous for?
Amit Panghal is famous for being the first Indian man to win a silver medal at the World Boxing Championships in 2019.